Sustainability in the Paint and Coatings Industry
The paint and coatings industry has been under increasing pressure to reduce Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) emissions and adopt sustainable practices. One of the key sustainability goals for paint manufacturers is to develop low-VOC or VOC-free paint formulations that maintain or even enhance performance while minimizing environmental impact.
VOCs are organic chemicals that can easily evaporate into the air. They are a significant concern in the paint industry due to their adverse environmental and health effects. VOCs are major contributors to air and water pollution and can lead to the formation of ground-level ozone and smog. These have serious health implications, including respiratory problems and worsening of conditions like asthma.
High VOC levels are found in petroleum-based materials (PBMs), such as polyethylene, ethylene vinyl alcohol, and polypropylene, which have commonly been used to enhance the barrier to water vapour and oxygen permeation. Paint and coatings companies are now researching how bio-based natural polymers, such as cellulose and starch, can be used in paints and coatings.
Sustainable paint production also involves responsible sourcing of raw materials, reducing energy consumption, minimizing waste, and implementing eco-friendly manufacturing practices, such as HPS Advanced Liquid Product Recovery (Pigging) Technology. Furthermore, the industry seeks to create products with longer lifespans, reducing the need for frequent repainting, which can contribute to resource conservation.
How Pigging Helps Companies Manufacturing Eco-friendly Paint
HPS work with the paint and coatings industry to help them achieve their business goals.
HPS pigging systems for paints and coatings companies are fully automated systems. They use specialized devices called “pigs” to recover residual paint from pipelines after transfer sequences have taken place.
There are many benefits of pigging with HPS technology that align with sustainability goals:
- Efficiency: HPS pigging systems help paint manufacturers streamline their processes. By efficiently recovering up to 99.5% of paint from pipelines, they reduce downtime associated with cleaning and changeovers. This efficiency improvement contributes to resource conservation and cost reduction.
- Reduced Waste: High-performance product recovery using HPS systems minimises paint waste. Leftover paint residue in pipelines can lead to product waste, which is both costly and environmentally detrimental. By ensuring that the maximum amount of paint reaches its intended destination, HPS systems reduce waste.
- Lower Contamination Risks: HPS pigging systems are also used to minimise the risks of contamination. For companies that use bio-based materials, this ensures that product quality maintains high standards, a critical factor in meeting environmental regulations.
- Product Quality and Consistency: HPS pigging systems ensure that the paint delivered to customers is of consistent quality. This consistency reduces the likelihood of product recalls or rejections, thus preventing unnecessary waste and resource consumption.
- Resource Efficiency: By extending the lifespan of pipelines and reducing maintenance requirements, HPS pigging systems contribute to resource efficiency. Fewer replacements and less frequent maintenance translate to reduced material and energy consumption.
You can discover how one company benefitted from working with HPS by reading our case study from a water and solvent-based paint manufacturer.
As the paint industry strives to become more sustainable and reduce its environmental footprint, HPS Advanced Pigging Technology plays a vital role. We help paint manufacturers improve efficiency, reduce waste, lower carbon emissions, enhance product quality, and support data-driven sustainability initiatives. HPS pigging systems are a practical solution for the paint industry to meet its sustainability goals and contribute to a greener future.
The Dual-Pig Pigging System
To help paint and coatings companies achieve the best outcome using HPS technology, we developed a dual-pig pigging system.
Using two separate pigs, the system works by pushing the product to its destination with the first pig, which is then immediately followed by the cleaning solution. The cleaning solution is followed by a second pig, which creates a plug and enables the optimal quantity of cleaning fluid to be used.
The dual-pig pigging system helps companies improve product recovery rates, speed up changeovers, and reduce water and chemical consumption.
Reducing CO2e in Paint and Coatings Production
Having data-driven sustainability initiatives is important to companies looking to improve their corporate social responsibility. In 2022, HPS commissioned an independent carbon analysis company, Carbon-Zero, to perform a study on how HPS pigging technology reduces carbon emissions in water and solvent-based paint manufacturing.
The study showed that HPS technology cuts CO2e emissions by up to 99.3% per changeover when compared to the output from a traditional changeover for water-based paint manufacturing. For solvent-based paint changeovers, the CO2e emissions difference is up to 90.8%.
About HPS Product Recovery Solutions
HPS Product Recovery Solutions is the world’s leading expert in advanced liquid product recovery technology and liquid transfer solutions.
We have worked with hundreds of companies across the globe, including PPG, AkzoNobel, Kelly-Moore, and Ronseal to implement hi-tech, sustainable pigging equipment that facilitates improved yields and maximised profits.